Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Spectacular New Camellias

On Sunday I made a trip to Nuccio's Nursery (up in Altadena, right against the mountains above Pasadena, California), which is one of the most incredible Camellia nurseries to be found in North America. It's run by the three boys - Juge, Jim, and Tom - cousins and brothers in various combinations - and sons of the nursey's founders. If you have never visited Nuccio's, you should make a trip while Camellias are still in season. If you have visited before, let this be a reminder to go and get your annual fix - both of Camellias (and Azaleas) and of friendly, downhome horticultural expertise.

My problem in visiting Nuccio's is the sheer temptation to purchase a load of Camellias. I have never left the nursery empty handed, and sometimes have had to ask for a delivery because the haul would not fit in the pickup. That day, I only picked out fourteen plants. There were the eight handsome and somewhat dwarfish plants of 'Buttermint', each loaded with creamy white raggedly informal double flowers. I wasn't sure exactly where they would go in the garden, but was convinced that a small mass planting would make me and many other people very happy. And then there were two plants of 'Koto-No-Kaori' as well as one of 'Manato-No-Akebono' - both sasanqua-looking plants with modestly-sized but incredibly fragrant single pink flowers. 'Koto-No-Kaori' is my favorite, producing the most remarkable perfume, defying every charge that Camellias require tea olive or some other surrogate to bring fragrance to the garden.

But the spectacle of the day came from my first encounter with a pair of cultivars that Juge suggested I check out - 'Sinritsu-Ko' and 'Kino-Sinritsu'. 'Sinritsu-Ko' is the 'Peace' rose of Camellias - a loose semi-double creamy yellow with a blush of pink airbrushed onto petals that, for all the world, make the flower different from any other Camellia I have seen. There is something about the way the petals are presented, and their shape with the redoubled leading margins that is distinctly abnormal for a Camellia and completely normal for a Rose. Paired with 'Sinritsu-Ko' is a pure yellow version, 'Kino-Sinritsu', which I may like even better. Needless to say, I left with one of the pure yellow and a couple of the blushed version, wondering whether I shouldn't have bought more just for insurance. I can't wait to see how these Camellias, new to me, the novice, perform in the garden, or hold up as cut flowers. If they score well in either regard, then 'Sinritsu-Ko' and 'Kino-Sinritsu' have a wonderful future in Southern California.

Check back with me on these plants. I'd like to find out more about them..., what the names mean, and who made the selections and introductions. Stay tuned and I will let you know what I learn...

No comments:

Post a Comment